As someone who grew up in church I learned as a small boy that the gospel was the first four books in the New Testament. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. In the four gospels we discover the amazing story of Christ showing up on Earth and being lived out for thirty three years. It is a story of God's immense love for his creation and His willingness to restore that which had been lost.
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
This has exciting implications, not only are we restored into relationship with our father God but he adopts us as His very own. In a sentence the Gospel is the revealed knowledge of God about who you are, your identity and what is possible for your life. He restored and connects us to our true purpose as sons and daughters and extends grace (His very self) to live out his presence on the Earth.
Grace is the empowering presence of God that enables us to be all that we are created to be and all that we are created to do!
It is important to point out that it wasn't until the Apostle Paul showed up on the scenes, almost forty years after Jesus' resurrection that the message of the Gospel was completely revealed and understood. The twelve Apostles were still entrenched in a limited understanding about what the true meaning of the Gospel.
The Gospel was something that was for all and not just limited to the Jew alone and certainly not based on the keeping of he law. It was no longer about what you must or must not do, it was about what Jesus has completed. Our salvation was no longer based on our ability to obey moral laws but a dependence on the free gift of righteousness.
What is the outcome of the Gospel?
Bottom line, what does this mean for us what results can we expect in our own lives if we are reconnected to our true purpose and blueprint?
- Gods love sets me free to live a life of significance that is not dependent on outside influences. Like it or not, we have learned to habitually walk according the course of this world. If from a child you learned that love and significance was dependent on relationships, possessions and titles you become in a sense a prisoner. Man's need to be loved is a powerful force that keeps us dependent and needy. We are now discovering that we are fully and unconditionally loved by God Himself that has nothing to do with behavior.
- We are no longer wandering throughout our lives looking for someone to fill our empty cup. Instead, because we understand that we are completely loved our cup is not just full, it is running over full. We are now free to live life not out of emptiness but out of God's unrestricted fullness!
- I am now a complete person who functions from an entirely different perspective. I am able to live from the inside out versus outside in where most of the world lives. I live a life that is able to love others more unconditionally without strings attached.
- I become more intentional about my larger purpose and can now draw strength from an awareness that God is in me both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
- I can now trust more fully on the inspiration and directions I choose in life come from God.
- My identity and who I thought I was has now completely changed. The old fears of the past have dropped off from my life and I am now tapping into the gifts and callings of God for my life. I have learned that I am not an orphan dropped off at the corner of unwanted and unloved. I have a keen sense of fulfillment and purpose and as a result live a life of positive influence in the lives of others around me.
It is God's desire that we each come into the full knowledge what the Gospel is all about. Our personal definitions about our own lives determine the level of success and failure we will experience in our lives. But it all starts with realizing the unmovable and threatened union we now have in Him. We are God's dream come true, now discover it!
Jesus is God's grace embrace of the entire human race.